May 6, 2010

Too Much of a Good Thing

  Lately, I've realized that I'm spending too much time in photography and not nearly enough time working with my hands. Don't get me wrong. I love photography. I love everything about it. I love the creativity and the adventure of it. I love the places it takes me and the people it brings me to. And mostly I love it's unique ability to freeze time and capture a moment, a certain look, a glimpse of someone's life or a place that is so beautifully preserved it becomes eternal. I suppose it's a side effect of the job, but I do tend to get a bit tunnel visioned when I work. Having my profession and my creative outlet combined in the same process is a dream come true. But it can get a bit monotonous. I've been dreaming of multi-colored Prismacolor pencils, brand new sketchbooks, sheets of beautifully thick bumpy watercolor paper, and paint I can get my fingers into.


  Part of my journey as a "divergent artist" is the constant discovery of what makes me tick creatively. What exactly is that thing that lights my fire? And what I found is that it's the variety of interests that really keeps me going. I need to paint, and draw, and sculpt, and weave, and bead, and paste, and yes, photograph. If I get too focused on one thing I tend to get creatively stale. This is a mystery to most of the people who've been telling me to focus on something, anything. I understand their attempted encouragement, but it's just not for me. So, today I'm gonna put down my camera and pick up some pencils I think. And I fully intend on not focusing one little bit.

No comments: