March 28, 2010

Mac Attack

Mac Attack: A Modern Tale of Love, Tragedy, and Technology

   I swore I wasn't going to do it. I promised myself. I refused to become one of those Mac-centric, apple loving, I-everything crazies. Being in a creative field for business, and having studied photography and design in college, I was well versed in the benefits of a Mac over PCs for most creative work. But I was always perfectly comfortable and content with my Dell, and never saw any serious flaws or signs that it was inferior in some way. But, through the trials and tribulations of dealing with crashing harddrives, viruses, and faulty software updates, I started to reconsider switching over to Mac, and never having to deal with that stuff again. I did my homework and found exactly what I wanted, and mastered a great deal buying it online.


   At first, switching from a PC mindset to the Apple way of doing things was nothing but frustrating. I didn't understand how anything worked, or where anything was. I felt like a child trying to maneuver something way over my head, when previously I was more than competent on my Dell. There were more than a few moments when it was everything I could do to not toss my new purchase right out the window. Fortunately the realities of my bank account kept me from unleashing my rage, but secretly I bore hatred in my heart. Eventually, after a few weeks of trial and error, lots of cussing, and refusing to let a stupid computer get the best of me, I started to get it. Not only did it start to make sense to me, but I began to realize how much I'd been missing all this time. It was like a whole new world opened up to me that I didn't even know was there. Working in Photoshop was incredibly easier and all my programs merged and worked together absolutely seamlessly. It was incredible. I could feel myself slipping. I was in the middle of a full blown Mac-attack. Now, to my everlasting shame and joy, I am in a deeply committed relationship with Apple Macintosh for life.


   Now that I was completely convinced, and utterly dependent on it, the bottom fell out. Of course. The bottom of the computer didn't actually fall out, but it may as well have. My so-called master online deal turned out to not to be so much. I bought it used from another photographer because it wasn't very old and had all the software I needed already installed. Because I wasn't completely sold on Mac at the time, I didn't want to invest a huge sum of money on a new computer I wasn't sure I was going to stick with. Anyway, my Macbook stuck it out with me for a good two years, but eventually it died. 


   So, I updated and found a better, newer Macbook and managed to move all my files and programs onto my new machine. By the way, switching computers is a real pain in the tail. Especially when it's your main life line to almost everything. Not a fun process. Anyway, after all that, this last week I went to see my family in Utah. I didn't think a thing about taking my computer with me. Unfortunately, when I went to board the plane they told me there was no more room in the overhead compartments and that I would have to put my carry-on under the plane. I told them that it was a camera, lenses, and a computer and that they weren't packed to be checked luggage, and no way was I going to put them under the plane. They almost forced it out of my hand as they "helped" me check the bag anyway, asserting that it was either that or the bag would have to be left behind. They assured me it would be there safe and sound when I got off the plane at my layover. As you may have guessed, it wasn't. And when I got to Salt Lake City, it didn't show up there either. Come to find out my bag of thousands of dollars of poorly packed equipment had been mistakenly sent to the wrong city, but they did locate it. After another full day of pestering Delta, it finally showed up. So, before I left I went into their office to check through the bag and make sure everything was ok and nothing was broken. Miraculously my camera and lenses were there and in perfect condition. And as I opened the side zipper, there was my drawing tablet all by itself, without my computer. I went through the upper compartment and realized that someone had gone through all my personal items, removed them, got the computer cords and charger from under my toiletries, and then repacked everything else and sent it on it's way. I couldn't believe it. Delta said that I would have to pay to replace the stolen items, and then turn in the receipts and file a theft report and they would refund up to $3300. That wasn't going to cover the full cost of what I lost, but there was no room for negotiation. Apparently that's the maximum amount they allow for any lost, damaged, or stolen items. So now I find myself with no computer, waiting on my new one to come in the mail. And mad enough at the airline to spit nails. They forced my bag under the plane, sent it to the wrong city, lost it, and while it was in their custody, their employees stole my computer! 


     I feel like I've been on a computer roller coaster, turning over computers left and right, moving files, loosing files, recovering everything I can, organizing everything, and basically just wanting to toss the whole thing and go back to pencil and paper. But alas, I am far too spoiled by technology to ever go back. A word of warning though: don't check anything valuable under a plane. I was always worried about my bags getting lost. It never occurred to me that they might steal my stuff. Flyers beware!


Computers! Can't live with them. Can't afford to run them over with the car.

No comments: