March 20, 2010

The Rest of Our Utah Excursion

As much fun as all of our touring was, I think we had an equally good time doing a bunch of nothing. We drove around small country towns, went to one of my favorite places ever, Sundance Resort (owned by Robert Redford), piddled around Park City where Jenn and Tim live, and ate some really great food. Some of my favorite times were when we were cuddled up on the couches watching movies or just talking.


My favorite brother Matt at one of the many side of the road vistas we stopped at. 


One of the friendly faces of Utah that lived just a ways down the road from us. Cute isn't he?


I couldn't pass up taking a pic of this little small town jewel. Gotta love one stop shopping.


The famous Sundance homemade lollipops in the old timey general store.


Mom and Matt playing with Yoda while we toured around Sundance.


Sweet Yoda would wait happily all day long in the back of a truck, as long as he didn't get left at home.


A very cool rustic door at Sundance Resort. 




I am absolutely crazy about all the aspen trees. They're my new favorite thing.







Even in the pale blues and whites of a snowstorm, the valley where we stayed was incredibly beautiful.



   Downtown Park City at night is really the stuff right out of movies. Ironically, it's the home of one of the biggest movie festivals in the world. But aside from it's cinematic appeal, it's full of small town charm, creative shops, artists galleries, top notch food, and all of it in walking distance from one end to the other. It's one of those towns you can wear comfortable clothes and boots and be appropriately dressed for a four star dinner. And then after eating a gourmet dinner walk around the corner to grab a homemade gellato and enjoy it while you listen to the street musicians playing their violins and hand drums. I suppose the reason I love it most is it's just one of those places you can settle into without any effort, and it feels comfortable but still exciting from the first moment I'm there.



We found some really great places to eat, and even a cafe that made biscuits and gravy. Not exactly authentic, but Jenni was so desperate for some southern food she didn't care. We ended up making a big southern family breakfast before we left though, so she's alright now.









Just like her parents, our little Stori is a musician in the making. She's almost a musical baby genius in my opinion, and her next single will be up on iTunes any day now.







   Stori loves animals, particularly her dog Yoda, more than any child I've ever known. Her "babies" are stuffed bears and puppies and the sweet way she holds them and kisses them almost makes me want to cry sometimes. Just that completely pure heart that has no fear of something bigger than her, and so much love she can't hug him or kiss him enough. I especially love the way she takes her blanket and wraps it around Yoda when he's taking a nap. It's not uncommon at all to see Yoda walking around, draped in Stori's blankey. I could easily be accused of being a little biased, but I really do believe she's just one of the most special little girls there ever was. Both she and her cousin Lealie have this light about them that beautiful and exciting and mysterious all at the same time, and any time that I get to spend with them is absolutely precious to me. I can't say how incredibly grateful I am that God has extended our family by marriage with men like Tim, and then again with babies like Stori. I've always loved my family, and they've always been one of the most important things to me. But it's so encouraging to see that as things change, they're getting even better. And now I can't imagine our lives without them, and wouldn't go back to how it was before them for anything. This visit to see them was so sweet, and so much fun, and exhausting all at the same time. Our time together is limited so we try to pack as much into it as we absolutely can, even trying to not go to bed too early or sleep too much to not miss time together. And as hard as it is to be separated from ones I love so much, I'm even more grateful that they're right where they're supposed to be, and that they're faithfully going down the road that God has laid before them. And that even though it's long distance, our two roads still get to intersect and we still get to travel them together. And that makes all of the distance and time apart bearable, knowing we're connected by love and not convenience or location. It was hard to leave, but I know it won't be too long until I see them again. Visiting is just going to have to become our new normal. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Osda Sunalei, Diktoli Uyetska (modern version).

I generally disdain most blogs but this is excellent. Your God-given knack for expressing your true self in a waterfall of thoroughly artistic ways is relentlessly refreshing. Keep it up; you are on the right track. The world awaits what God has stored up to pour out through you. Donadagohuh.

- Unkey Munkey (isn't that a Seminole word?)

PS. You make me homesick for Utah!